Reduce Oil Dependence Costs
about one tenth of the oil we use is imported.
乐宝彩票哪个平台most of the world's oil reserves are concentrated in the middle east, and about 72% are controlled by organization of the petroleum exporting countries (opec) members.
oil price shocks and price manipulation by opec have cost our economy dearly—about $2 trillion from 2004 to 2008.
乐宝彩票哪个平台it's unclear whether we will ever eliminate our need to import oil, but we can reduce cartel market control and the economic impact of price shocks by reducing our petroleum use.
epa has established for new cars and trucks to help decrease oil dependence and greenhouse gas emissions. increased standards for model year 2012 to 2025 vehicles are projected to have several benefits:
- Gradually increase real-world fuel economy to about 45 mpg for the average car and 32 mpg for the average truck
- Save consumers more than $1.7 trillion in fuel costs
- Reduce our dependence on oil by more than 2 million barrels per day in 2025—about half of the oil that we currently import from OPEC countries each day
- For vehicles purchased in 2025, save new car buyers $8,000 in fuel costs over that vehicle's lifetime (when compared to a vehicle meeting the model year 2011 CAFE standards)
ultimately, the solution to this problem lies in technological progress:
- Developing advanced vehicle technologies that use energy more efficiently
- Creating new energy sources that can replace petroleum cleanly and cost-effectively
You Can Help
You can help improve our energy security by selecting a vehicle that uses less petroleum. Each vehicle in our Find and Compare Cars乐宝彩票哪个平台 section has an Energy Impact Score that shows the amount of petroleum it uses each year.
U.S. petroleum use 1970–2011: EIA. 2012.
u.s. petroleum use 2012–18: eia. 2019.
乐宝彩票哪个平台petroleum cost to u.s. economy in 2014: greene, d.l., c. liu, and p.n. leiby. 2014. the oil security metrics model: 2014 update. ornl/tm-2014/628. oak ridge national laboratory, oak ridge, tennessee, september.
乐宝彩票哪个平台proven oil reserve estimates: ornl. 2019. table 1.5.
information on impact of cafe standards:
- EPA. 2012.
- EPA. 2013.
- Average fuel cost savings based on assumed fuel price of $3.61/gallon and 12,000 miles of travel annually.